1. If you went to bed at 8:00 at night and set the alarm for 9:00 in the morning, how many hours would you sleep?
2. Do they have a fourth of July in England?
3. Why can’t a man living in Winston Salem, N.C., be buried west of the Mississippi River?
4. How many birthdays does an average man have? Woman?
5. If you had one match and entered a room in which there was a kerosene lamp, an oil burner, and a wood burning stove, which would you light first?
6. Some months have 30 days, some have 31 days, how many have 28 days?
7. If a doctor gave you three pills and told you to take one every half hour, how long would they last?
8. A man builds a house with four sides to it, and it is rectangular in shape. Each side had a southern exposure. What color is the bear that comes wandering by?
9. How far can a dog run into the woods?
10. What is the minimum number of active players on a baseball field during any part of an inning?
11. What four words appear on every denomination of the U.S. coin?
12. I have in my hand 2 U.S. coins which have a total value of 55 cents. One of these coins is not a nickel. Please bear this in mind. What are the coins?
13. A farmer had 17 sheep. All but nine died. How many did he have left?
14. Divide 30 by 1/2 and add 10. What is the answer?
15. Two men were playing checkers. They played 5 complete games and each one won the same number of games. How can you explain this?
16. You take two apples from three apples. What do you have?
17. An archeologist claims that he found some gold coins dated 46 B.C. Do you think he did? Why?
18. A woman gives a beggar 50 cents. The woman is the beggar’s sister, but the beggar is not the woman’s brother. How come?
19. How many animals of each species did Moses take aboard the Ark with him?
20. Is it legal in New Mexico for a man to marry his widow’s sister?
Answers to Genius Test:
1. ONE HOUR – A clock without AM/PM indicators would ring the alarm in 1 hour
2. Fourth – lower case, f = date, not holiday.
3. The man is living, not dead.
4. 1, 1, birthdate.
5. The match.
6. All months.
7. ONE HOUR – 1:00, 1:30, 2:00
8. White – A polar bear – North Pole
9. 1/2 way, then he’s running out.
10. 10 – 6
11. In God We Trust or United States of America
12. 50 cents, 5 cents. The 50 cents is not a nickel.
15. They were not playing each other
16. 2 apples = You took 2
17. No. How could it be dated? They would not know.
18. The beggar is the woman’s sister.
19. None – Noah
20. No, he’s dead.