- Zoomer Bix plans to buy a microcomputer that costs $690, excluding sales tax. If the sales tax rate is 5 1/2%, how much tax will Zoomer have to pay?
Multiply 690 by 0.055 = 37.95
So the tax is $37.95
- Wheel World sold 875 cars last year. If sales this year are 120% of sales last year, how many cars will Wheel World sell this year?
Multiply 875 by 1.20 = 1050
So Wheel World will sell 1050 cars this year.
- Klutz Schlump borrowed $500. He agreed to pay back the entire loan, plus interest, at the end of the year. If the interest rate is 18% per year, what is the total amount Klutz agreed to pay back?
Multiply 500 by 1.18 = 590
So Klutz will pay back 500 in principal and 90 in interest.
- The “suggested retail’ price of a certain camera is $340, but a discount store sells the camera at a 30% discount. What is the price of the camera at the discount store?
If there is a 30% discount then 70% of the price is kept.
Multiply 340 by .70 = 238
So the camera at the discounted price is $238
- Mr. J. Doe has a taxable income of $9000. If the income tax rate is 16% on the first $4000 of income, 19% on the next $4000, and 23% on the next $1000, how much is Mr. Doe’s tax?
Multiply 4000 by .16 = 640
Multiply 4000 by .19 = 760
Multiply 1000 by .23 = 230
640 + 760 + 230 = 1630
So Mr. J Doe will pay $1630 tax on $9000 in income.
- After taking his girl friend out to dinner, Osgood decides to leave a tip of 15% of the bill. If the bill is $38, how much should the tip be?
Multiply 38 by .15 = 5.70
So Osgood will leave a tip of $5.70
- Profits of Calculess Corporation this year were 140% of profits last year. If profits last year were $5200, what were profits this year?
Multiply 5200 by 1.40 = 7280
So Calculess Corp will have profits of $7280 this year.
- Klutz got 10 out of 16 problems on an algebra test correct. What percent were correct?
10 divided by 16 = .625
So Klutz had 62.5% of the problems correct.
- A team won 12 games, lost 15 games, and tied 3 games. What percent of its games did the team win?
30 games were played. (12 + 15 + 3)
12 divided by 30 = .4
So the team won 40% of its games.
- In a magazine drive a school keeps 40% of all sales dollars. How many dollars worth of magazines must be sold for the school to earn $5000?
5000 = 40% of some number
.40x = 5000
x = 12500
So $12500 worth of magazines must be sold for the school to earn $5000.
- A real estate broker earns 2 ½% of her sales as a commission. How many dollars in sales does she need in order to earn a commission of $1000?
1000 = 2.5% of some number
.025x = 1000
x = 40,000
So the real estate broker must sell $40,000 to earn $1000 when the sales commission is 2.5%
- A steel cable expands 0.2% of its length when its temperature is increased 100°C. How much longer will a 750 meter cable become with this increase in temperature?
Multiply 750 by 1.2 = 900
So the 750 meter cable will become 900 meters
- Elmo Buckets made 54 out of 80 free throws. What percent did he miss?
If Elmo made 54 of 80 then he missed 26..
Divide 26 by 80 = .325 = 32.5%
So Elmo missed 32.5% of his free throws.