Ratio Porportion Percent
- 1. The ratio of students to teachers in a school with 1200 students and 50 teachers.
So the ratio of students to teachers is 24 students to 1 teacher
- The ratio of men to women at a college with 1500 men and 1800 women.
So the ratio of men to women is 5 men to 6 women
- The ratio of tin to copper in an alloy that contains 48 kg of copper and 32 kg of tin.
So the ratio of tin to copper is 3 tin to 2 copper.
- The ratio of wins to losses on 40 games with 15 losses and no ties.
So the ratio of tin to copper is 8 wins to 3 losses.
- The ratio of advertising time to nonadvertising time in a one-hour TV show that includes 8 minutes of ads.
advertising time/nonadvertising time
So the ratio of advertising time to nonadvertising time is 15 minutes advertising time to 2 minutes nonadvertising time.
- The ratio of the area of a rectangle with sides 8 cm and 12 cm to the area of a square with sides 10 cm.
area of a rectangle / area of a square
First find the area of the rectangle.
8 times 12 = 96
And now the area of the square.
10 times 10 = 100
Now back to the area of the rectangle(96) / area of a square(100)
So the ratio of the area of a rectangle to area of a square is 24/25
- A car traveled 500 miles on 25 gallons of gas. (mpg)
miles / gallons
So the ratio of miles to gallons is 20 miles to 1 gallon.
- Frank typed 90 words in 4 minutes. (wpm)
words / minutes
So the ratio of words to minutes is 45 miles to 2 minutes.
- A jet traveled 1000 miles on 2.5 hours. (mph)
miles / hours
1000 / 2.5
So the ratio of miles to hours is 400 miles to 1 hour.
- A gear revolved 480 times in 15 minutes. (rpm)
revolution / minutes
So the ratio of revolutions to minutes is 32 revolutions to 1 minute.
- Juan ran 600 meters in one minute 20 seconds. (meters per second)12. Osgood ate 9 hamburgers in half an hour. (hamburgers per minute)
13. Mary Thon ran 26 miles in 2 hours 40 minutes. (minutes per mile to the nearest tenth)
14. Two numbers are in the ratio 5 : 2 and their sum is 56. Find the numbers.
- Find two numbers whose ratio is 3 : 7 and whose sum is 150.
- 16. A certain color is made by blending red paint and blue paint in a 9 : 4 ratio. How many liters of each are needed to make 65 liters of this color paint?
- 17. A commission of $1,000 is to be divided between two people in a 3 : 5 ratio. How much should each person receive?
- 18. Three numbers are in a 2 : 3 : 5 ratio and their sum is 70. Find the numbers.
- 19. The sum of the angle measures of any triangle is 180 degrees. Find the three angle measures of a triangle if they are in an 8 : 3 : 4 ratio
- 20. A grass seed mixture contains bluegrass, ryegrass, and fescue seeds in a 4 : 3 : 1 ratio. How many ounces of each seed are contained in a 3 pound (48 ounce) box of the mix?
- A market carries five flavors of ice cream. They sell in approximately a 2 : 2 : 3 : 6 : 7 ratio. How many cartons of each should be stocked if there is space for 80 cartons?
22.The width and length of a rectangular poster are in a 2 : 3 ratio. The perimeter of the poster is 160 cm. Find its dimensions.
- 23. If there are 560 calories in 8 ounces of meat, how many calories are in 3 ounces of meat?
- If 2 cubic feet of sawdust weigh 25 pounds, how much do 9 cubic feet of sawdust weigh?
- 25. A certain hose delivers 5 gallons of water in 24 seconds. How much water will the hose deliver in 10 minutes?
- 26. The ratio of the weight of an object on Mars to its weight on Earth is 9 to 25. If a person weighs 120 pounds on Earth, how much would the person weigh on Mars?
- 27. A flagpole casts a shadow 8.5 meters long. If an algebra student 1 .6 meters tall casts a shadow 2.0 meters long at the same time and location, how tall is the flagpole?
- 28. A U.S. nickel is composed of 3.9 grams of copper and only 1 2 grams of nickel. How many kilograms of copper must be combined with 4 kilograms of nickel in the manufacture of nickel coins?
- 29. At a certain college, the ratio of men to women is 6 to 5. If there are 2580 men, how many women are there?
- 30. In a town of 30,000 households, a survey was taken to estimate the number of households in which a certain TV program had been viewed. Of the 200 residences surveyed, the program had been seen in 64. Assuming that this was a representative sample, estimate the total number of households in the town in which the program was viewed.